Home > Cutting Down on Fat
Cutting down on fat
- Reduce the amount of fat in your diet by grilling instead of frying. If you have to fry, use a spray oil (instead of a pouring oil or a solid fat like lard, margarine or butter).
- Swap your fatty snacks for breadsticks, scones, fruit, low-fat yogurts and small sandwiches with low-fat fillings e.g. banana, low-fat cheese and cucumber or salmon.
- Seek out the reduced or low-fat alternatives to your favorite foods. Reduced fat sausages and oven  baked fries  for example are easy to find these days - they may be labelled with phrases such as ’ healthy choice’ . It is worth noting that these foods may still have a substantial amount of fat in them, so it’ s worth checking the labels.
- When it comes to fatty foods and snacks, think F.A.T! Frequency - how often do you eat them? Try to reduce them and / or find lower fat alternatives Amount - try to reduce the portion sizes Type - avoid saturated fats. For example, choose sunflower or olive oil-based margarine.
- Each gram of fat contains 9 calories - weight for weight, that’ s a lot more than other nutrients such as the starchy foods like bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. No wonder it’ s best to fill up on starch.